Thursday, July 20, 2006

Big Deadline

Big deadline at work. Will be back tomorrow or Saturday to discuss my character development idea.

To keep you occupied while you eagerly await my next post, here are some fun things to do and read:

Robotube Games
Fish Tales
Various Flash Games
Various Java Games

Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully - in Ten Minutes, by Stephen King
Fiction Workshop for One

"It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous." ~ Robert Benchley

"I don't like to write, but I love to have written." ~ Michael Kanin

"However great a man's natural talent may be, the art of writing cannot be learned all at once." ~ Jean Jacques Rousseau

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." ~ Oscar Wilde

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." ~ Cyril Connolly

"I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork." ~ Peter de Vries

"Nothing you write, if you hope to be any good, will ever come out as you first hoped." ~ Lillian Helman

"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." ~ Ray Bradbury

"The first draft of anything is sh*t." ~ Ernest Hemingway

"You only learn to be a better writer by actually writing." ~ Doris Lessing

Quotes scooped from Ink.

13 comments:

Rene said...

Love those quotes. See ya this weekend.

Melissa Amateis said...

The Michael Kanin quote is my favorite. :-)

Tess said...

Cool quotes - I especially liked the one from Ray Bradbury. I LOVE the smell of libraries. And was in heaven while working at the old library at Queen's when they'd send me down into the Storage area in the basement to reshelve/retrieve books.

Sayre said...

My favorite: "You only learn to be a better writer by writing." So true - and sometimes so hard!

This summer, my husband and I are trying to get in the groove by taking a video screen-writing course. It's just a fun thing to do but who knows? I love my husband's idea for a screenplay but I'm still coming up with mine...

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to hear your idea! Drop me a line sometime... oh, and I'll bring you back stuff from Atlanta, ok?? :)

PS. how's Cairo doing?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Your idea sounds ambitous. Good luck, Nienke.

Michele sent me here.

RennyBA said...

I wish you good luck Nienke - I'm sure you can make it!
Michele sent me and I'll ad hi from Norway. Have a great end to your week:-)

Shesawriter said...

Great, Nienke, just what I need. More excuses to procrastinate! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I cant believe Ernest would have used that kind of language..... ;-)

Hope all is well neinke and thanks for stoppin in!


Oh LOOK!

Games!

WOOHOO!

:-)

Take care.

Wil

Siobhan said...

Great quotes. Thanks for your visit, Nienke. I love your post about Cairo. My kitty is missing and I hope that, if he has strayed too far to find his way home, someone kind like you has taken him in. ((()))

Anonymous said...

"I don't like to write, but I love to have written."

Oh God yes, that's me.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I USED TO write. Don't write much any more. I guess that makes me a Wrote'r.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, and the games and the quotes you left made us all SO HAPPY! That was very thoughtful of you!