Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Foolin' around

I'm an April Fool. April Fools is a writing challenge not unlike NaNoWriMo except that you set your own goal. Mine's 15,000 words for the month of April. 500 words a day, and I'm behind already. LOL

Just finished reading Gods In Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. It's a gem. Joshilyn has a fresh voice and the story line is unique and engrossing. She has a way of making the reader root for a vulnerable character. I'm so glad her next book is out, Between, Georgia, because I crave to read more from her. I read an exerpt of the first chapter and it looks great too.

Desert Rat made a good point in the comments of my last post. Time to start focusing on reasons to write, not excuses not to. Thx DR.

Have you read any great books lately?

8 comments:

Paperback Writer said...

Nope, my life has began to interrupt my writng.

Sad.

Anonymous said...

I'm right in the middle of several good books, but I made a (what now seems kinda foolish) rule for myself that I had to finish this one stupid (non-writing) project before I would let myself read anything more. I should be done by tomorrow which means I can finally finish the novels I'm reading and start new ones, yay! I miss reading fiction; it really helps inspire me to do better in my own writing.

Anonymous said...

Her Irish Warrior by Michelle Willingham. :)

Sayre said...

Just for fun, I'm reading "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella. It's funny enough that it kept me laughing through some rather uncomfortable surgical procedures yesterday.... The doctor happened to mention that no one had ever laughed out loud while he was cutting on them. They must not be reading the right books...

Anonymous said...

I read Lois Lowry's The Giver, and it was fantastic.

I also read Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It was a little too depressing for me - an essay on how lives can fall apart based on one wrong choice, one deceptive event.

I just started another of Lowry's books.

Bhaswati said...

I read Princess on my trip. Even if parts of the book are exaggerated, reading it made me thankful for the liberties I enjoy as a woman in my country.

Good to be back at your blog, btw :)

Annina said...

i read "carry me down" by mj hyland not too long ago and liked it. it's a sad story, told very simply. good prose, really.

Lynette said...

I read 'Gods in Alabama' the year before last and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't know Joshilyn had another book out. I will have to look out for it. GIA hit the best seller list over here in the U.K.

I'm currently reading 'Life Support' by Tess Gerritsen. I haven't ready any of her work before. This book is really good. :)