Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy Holidays

I want to wish you all a great holiday and hope your wishes come true.

I will leave you for now with some writing quotes to inspire you:

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"You may be able to take a break from writing, but you won't be able to take a break from being a writer. "
~ Stephen Leigh

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
~ Bill Cosby

"The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shock-proof shit detector."
~ Ernst Hemingway

"My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: when you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip."
~ Elmore Leonard

"I believe more in the scissors than I do in the pencil."
~ Truman Capote

"Often I'll find clues to where the story might go by figuring out where the characters would rather not go."
~ Doug Lawson

"I have written a great many stories and I still don't know how to go about it except to write it and take my chances."
~ John Steinbeck

10 comments:

Jeff said...

I hope you have a happy and safe holiday season and thanks for the quotes. :)

TLP said...

Are you off on a seasonal holiday?

Have a happy one! I like the quotes, but think the best thing a writer can do is to be true to oneself.

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Love the Steinbeck guote, because everytime I write, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing, but just taking a chance. =D

Happy Holidays!

Paula said...

Great quotes! Thanks for taking the time to type them out.

Melissa Amateis said...

I love the Stephen Leigh quote. Very true!

Love your blog - wow, a breakfast with INXS? How awesome is that?

Have a very happy holiday season!

Dana Pollard said...

Thanks for the quotes! I too hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the Hemingway quote. Mind if I snatch it? It's soooo perfect! BTW: What is that pic of -- the tiny word processor? It's too cute. I have an Alphasmart NEO and I love it, but that pic got me curious. So now I gotta know! :)
Have a happy New Year!!

Nienke Hinton said...

Hi Paisley:
I have an Alphie NEO too (Santa just brought it this Xmas); the pic is just from a search for pics of word processors. Don't worry, Alpies rule!

Niles McNeil said...

Wow! Excellent quotes!

Anonymous said...

I have just heard about the Alphasmart NEO, and here it is pictured on your blog! It seems like an amazing device. Did you purchase yours in Toronto?

Thanks