Thursday, November 02, 2006

The two elements of writing

I was listening to an interview with Doug Lyle, author of Murder and Mayhem: A Doctor Answers Medical and Forensic Questions for Mystery Writers, on Writers on Writing and he had some interesting advice for writers.

He said there are two elements to writing a novel: the art and the craft. The art is the storytelling and the craft is the structure of the writing. It's important to get the story told, then go back and worry about the structure. To me, that's what NaNo is all about, getting the story told - because I get so caught up in the structure element I never finish the art part.

How's everyone doing so far for word count? I'm a little behind, but I've dedicated a 4 1/2 hour train trip to Montreal tomorrow to writing.

12 comments:

Brenda Oig said...

That's good, that's what I keep reminding myself as I'm writing. Push on and just get the story down. :) I'm ahead of my goal so I'm doing well. I'm glad because I know there will be days that life interferes. Hope you get lots written on the train.

Spilling Ink said...

I added you to my writing buddies list:-) May your trip be productive. We can use all the time we can get our minds around, right?

Stacie Penney said...

I'm at 9,500 or so. I used vacation time the first day though, and made sure that I get far ahead; work conflicts more than usual later in the month.

Write on!

Unknown said...

Good luck with NaNo!! You can do it.

Anonymous said...

Good to have that 4 hour block where you can count on getting some writing done.

Do you know about http://www.writing-world.com/?

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

3,330. Not good, not bad....

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I can't seem to stop editing as I go along...which is what I did last year, and didn't finish.

Tempest Knight said...

I did NaNo the past two years and won. But not this year. I can't put myself with that stress of writing 1,667 words per day just to finish right on time. I become too obsessed w/t word counter. It's madness! *lol* Instead I'm working at my pace on two unfinished WIPs. So my "NaNo goals" are to have finished those two stories by Nov. 30. Heh!

Good luck in your NaNo!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you. You are awesome. I absolutely love the cartoon figure pounding away at the keyboard. Well done.

Keep writing.
By the way, i'm from Barrie Ontario.

-Daryl
www.bookwriterlife.blogspot.com

Tess said...

I didn't write on the weekend (figured I wouldn't really get a chance), but I'll be back at it this afternoon after I've finished my business related duties etc. I see a trip to Starbucks in the offing! Hope the train trip proved fruitful :-)

Shesawriter said...

I'm not doing nano, but I did write today. :-)

Jean said...

I was on target before today. Today's not going well, and I feel cruddy.